I’ve been on the hunt for a new coffee table for our family room for a while. I was about to either build one myself or settle for this one from IKEA when I came across this gem at our local Habitat Restore. I immediately saw another chance to show an easy DIY home project to you guys!!
They were having a 25% off sale on all wooden furniture, so we only paid a little under $30 for it. Such a deal!
It took some creative finagling to get it into the back of my car, but we managed with minimal damage to the side (hence that black mark along the edge).
After we brought it home, we took off the lazy susan piece that remained screwed to the top and gave it a good sanding and wash.
Then, it was on to painting. I tried to find a color that would match as closely as possible to our white IKEA Besta wall unit. The color we settled on was Valspar’s AR615 Vintage from the allen + roth color line. It took less than a quart to paint a few coats on the entire table.
I wanted to soften the look a little and decided to upholster the top. However, I wanted to maintain the wooden edge, so I picked up a piece of thin (1/4″) plywood from Lowe’s and had them cut it to size.
Then, I picked up some microfiber fabric from Hancock Fabrics that would closely match our sofa fabric and upholstered the plywood piece. I won’t go into how to upholster here, but if you want to see instructions, you can check out my headboard re-do here.
I had originally planned to tuft the top, but the fabric I chose was so thick that it was almost impossible to cover the buttons with it. I might revisit that idea later, but for now, it will do.
After I upholstered the plywood, I attached it to the to by screwing through to the plywood from underneath the table.
Here’s the new coffee table in the room:
I’m really pleased with how it turned out. I’m a little disappointed that I couldn’t tuft the top, but it can always be done later.