It’s that time of year again… when you put away your Christmas decorations and start organizing your life to get ready for the new year.
I know, for myself, this time of year is when I really get serious about cleaning out closets, drawers, and cabinets. It takes a while, and it’s a big job. But while I’m stuck indoors during the cold weather, it’s a good time to start on it. Even if you start small with a nightstand or desk drawer (or that dreaded junk drawer we all have in our kitchens), you’ll be happy to be well on your way to completion by the time “spring cleaning” time comes around.
Today, I wanted to share with you ten of my organization must haves. These are items that I love to have around to help me get and stay organized!
1. Adjustable Drawer Organizers — These came from The Container Store but any version will work. I’ve also seen them at Wal-Mart and Target. Believe me, when you start organizing drawers, you will want to have some of these around. If you can come up with a configuration that fits snugly in your drawer, it will help the drawer stay organized and will keep the contents from sliding around (and getting messed up all over again) every time the drawer is opened and closed.
2. Boxes and Bins — My favorite place to get boxes is IKEA. They have all different sizes and colors that can fit into any decor and organize a variety of items while still being relatively inexpensive. The box pictured is the Kvarnvik box with lid from IKEA. These are my current favorites!
3. Jewelry Organizer — If you are looking for something to organize your jewelry in that is as functional as it is beautiful, I would highly recommend the Gold & Silver Safekeeper Mirrored Jewelry Cabinet by Lori Greiner from QVC. It holds a ton of jewelry and has a full length mirror on the front. You can either get a free-standing model or the wall mount. I have had the free standing model for a while now and it has helped me keep my jewelry and watches organized. I love it!
4. Shoe Organizers — If you’ve read my previous post on shoe organizers, you already know I store everything in them! They are super easy to use and can be used for a variety of items in every room! I call these “the best $5 you’ll ever spend”! Check out my post here for more info, pics and links.
5. Plastic Drawer Carts — These are a closet staple in my house. I have one with “unmentionables”, one with toiletries, one with craft supplies, and even one with scrapbooking paper!
6. Command Hooks — Who doesn’t love these things? You can stick them anywhere! They aren’t just for Christmas time, people! I love the metal ones and use them everywhere.
7. Desktop Organizers — I can’t stand a messy desk. When I worked in a cube in an office, I probably had the cleanest desk in the building. I just can’t work in clutter — makes me crazy! So, when I saw this desk organizer at Michael’s, I was in love!! A place for everything, and everything in it’s place. The Recollections™ items are at Michael’s and they have a varitey of great organizing solutions for your craft room! Hint: Swing by Michaels.com for a coupon (hopefully 50% off an item) before checking out!
8. Plastic Totes — These are a no-brainer. I recommend the clear totes so you can see what’s inside the totes you have already packed. Also, I really like the bins with the latching lids. They seem to stay closed better for me. This time of year, they are on sale everywhere — Lowe’s, Target, etc. — so stock up.
9. Basket, Baskets, Baskets — Need I say more?
10. Coat Rack — These aren’t just for hanging by the back door. I like to hang one in our bathroom to hang towels on and I have my ironing board hanging on just the hooks in our laundry room!
Is there anything you can’t live without when you’re organizing? I’d love to hear about it!!