Do you have some of these folding chairs hanging out in your garage or shed getting all icky? I did! I wanted to use them, but the thought of having to clean them up with all their spider pods and crawly bugs made me cringe!
Enter my husband…
He agreed to help me take them outside and clean them off. Before we started, I did unscrew all the upholstered pieces – the seat and backs. Now, his job? Spraying off all the grossness with the hose so I could come behind him and clean the frames with some soap and water. My hero!
Now that the frames were clean, it was time to recover the upholstered bits. I still couldn’t get the grossness of the before out of my mind, so I ended up totally removing the old fabric and starting fresh.
A fresh start means a trip to the fabric store! I wanted to tie them into the new blue and yellow theme from the family room (more on that coming soon), so I picked up these coordinating fabrics from Mary Jo’s (my absolute favorite fabric store!!).
Using the wrap and staple technique, I recovered the seat cushions in the solid blue color and the seat backs in the patterned fabric. Also during the recovering process, I added another layer of batting to make the seats a little comfier.
I chose a spray paint in a mushroom color that I pulled from the paisley patterned fabric to paint the chairs (Rust-Oleum’s 7754 Anodized Bronze). After a few coats of paint, I screwed the seats and backs back on and the project was done.
Fairly easy and not very time consuming for a project with big impact.
Now we have some folding chairs to use for extra seating that I’m not totally embarrassed to ask someone to sit on!