We have been in dire need of a new fall wreath for a while now. The floral swag we had been using was one I bought years ago at Garden Ridge (now At Home) and it was looking pretty weathered and worn. However, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on one. This sounds like a trip to the Dollar Tree!
I was pleasantly surprised with the Dollar Tree selection of fall floral and burlap/mesh ribbon. I wasn’t so ecstatic about their selection of grapevine wreathes. I don’t know what I expected. It is the Dollar Tree after all. That being said, the grapevine wreathes they had at my store were very small and would have looked ridiculous on any regular sized front door. So, I ended up purchasing a wreath from Wal-Mart for around $4. Still a pretty good deal!
So, here are my supplies: a grapevine wreath base, some fall floral stems, mesh ribbon, burlap ribbon, and a welcome sign.
First, I started with the wreath and the burlap ribbon. I didn’t end up using the mesh ribbon, so I will save it for another project. To cover the wreath, it took one roll of the 9 ft. burlap ribbon.
When I reached the end, I matched the two ends together and hot glued them to secure the ribbon.
Now, you are going to want to determine where you want the top of your wreath to be. I somehow always end up with a wreath that’s a little kittywhompas, so I usually will determine the most logical way to hang it with it still resembling an oval (or a circle if I’m lucky).
Once you’ve decided where the top is, you will need to determine where you want your flowers to be. I either do dead center or off to one side. The last fall wreath I did for over our mantel was made in much this same way, and I did the flowers off to one side for that one. Here, I’m going to put them in the center.
Next, I just start cutting the stems down with wire cutters and sticking the stems into the grapevine wreath. Usually, this is enough to keep them secure, but if you have some that feel loose, you can either move them until they feel more secure or put a little hot glue on the stem from the back. I used about 10 stems to fill in the bottom of the wreath.
To add the “Welcome Fall” sign, I removed the small twine hanger it came with and used some leather cording to tie it to the top center of the wreath. I could have used the twine that it came with, but it wasn’t long enough to wrap around the top.
After that, I was basically done. Be warned — working with grapevine wreathes makes a huge mess. 🙂
Here it is hanging on our front door and mixed in with our other fall outdoor decorations.
You can see the old wreath in my fall outdoor post from last year.